Honestly, I can’t believe how fast the year flashed by. I feel like 2016 just started…and yet here we are, on the second to last day of the year. I think it’s been harder for me to keep track of time this year because of all of the big life events that happened during the last 365 days.
Just to recap, 2016 brought:
- my final semester of college
- a stressful and exciting grad school/job search
- an offer (and acceptance) for a graduate assistantship at the University of South Dakota
- the creation of this blog!
- college graduation! #NMUAlumni
- a move back to my parents house for the summer
- a new summer job at the local cafe
- my first big adult purchase-my 2011 Chevy Impala!
- a cross-country trek to my new home, Vermillion, South Dakota! #FromNoMiToSoDak
- my first semester of #SAGrad
- new friends
- an interest and focus on holistic wellbeing
- an unforgettable roadtrip and hiking adventure to the Badlands with my best friend, Monica
- trips to exciting cities-St. Louis, Missouri, and Minneapolis, Minnesota
- more time spent in airports than any year prior
- lots of new adventures!
So, as I ring in the new year, I can’t help but to think back on all of the positive and negative things that I experienced in 2016 and the things I look forward to in 2017.
I am not really big on new years resolutions because I don’t believe they really work. I don’t ever stick to them and neither do most people…it’s just a fun trendy thing to do so we all hop on that bandwagon.
However, something that I am pretty big on is goal-setting (cue all student affairs related programming). So, rather than creating a resolution each year I try to make a few reasonable goals for myself.
This year my goals are:
- land a summer internship.
- I am currently applying through ACUHO-I but am also looking into other internship hosts and campus locations.
- read six books.
- I am working on knocking off some books on my To-Read shelf on Goodreads.
- I hope to run 2017 miles in the year of 2017, which equates to 5.5 miles a day.
- Build a mostly plant-based diet.
- This one I am still unsure of but really interested in!
- I am shooting for 75-80% of my diet being plant-based but am not sure how I will track this yet. Because of my running goal, I want to focus on filling my body with nutrient-rich foods right from the ground in order to provide the energy needed to reach this lofty fitness goal. I have been thinking about and researching plant based lifestyles for a long while now but have been scared to try it. I hate the idea of dieting and restricting myself to only certain foods, but I wholeheartedly believe that a mostly plant based lifestyle is the way to go for me. Being mostly plant-based will allow for me to consistently practice positive physical wellbeing and monitor the foods that I am eating while still being flexible enough for me to feel unrestricted and still have fun too…aka ice cream, french fries, and craft beer.
- The idea of minimalist living has always intrigued me. I hate living in clutter. I hate having things that are unused or don’t bring me happiness and positivity in some way. I would like to be able to pack up the items that I have and move easily when I am done with grad school, so it makes sense to start minimizing now. The less I have the less I have to worry about, right?
As of right now, these are the goals that I have set for myself in the next year. I am sure I will add, subtract, or alter my goals, but I think that I have a great foundation right now.
I will be sure to update my progress as I go along. Good luck to everyone else on their 2017 endeavors!